Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Aunt Frances


Aunt Frances is my oldest aunt on my mother's side of the family. She had married and moved away by the time I was born so I don't know her well.

Aunt Frances, like all my aunts, is very intelligent. The females in my family are prideful of their intelligence.

She is also the mother of the only cousins I have who are my age. In fact her oldest son is older than her youngest brother. Then came two girls one of whom is older than I am and the other is about 6 weeks younger than I. She had 9 children total.

The reason I did not know her well is because she married a young man who was in the service during World War II. He was from West Virginia. After he served his country they went home to that state.

My uncle worked in the coal mines. My aunt raised their children.

Aunt Frances looks the most like my grandmother.

My uncle worked hard in the mines. It ruined his lungs. Because of that he insisted that none of his sons did the same kind of work.

Aunt Frances is still alive and living in West Virginia. She has supplied me with a lot of information for our family tree.

14 comments:

  1. How fortunate to have one of the older generation still around. Now I am the older generation. It changes relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait. I don't mean to be rude, and perhaps I have you mixed up with another blogger, but aren't you in your eighties? So how old is Aunt Frances then, 104? My grandfather died three months before his 96th birthday with his mind as clear as a bell. So may it be with you and your Aunt Frances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not feel you are rude. I will be 70 at the end of the summer. My aunt is in her 90's which is an accomplishment.

      Delete
  3. Wow! How wonderful your Aunt is still alive to share information with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would try to get with her and record audio/video if you can. Or, if you could send someone who lives near her questions and ask them to record her for you.
    It's remarkable what you can learn by doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky to have this aunt still available to give family information to you! My Aunt Gen seems a bit similar to your Aunt Frances. I wasn't close to her until I started writing to her, asking her for genealogy info. She was so happy someone cared. We became good friends in the last years of her life. I treasure her memory (as well as her memories she shared with me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a marvelous memory to hold in your heart. Wonderful.

      Delete
  6. You're lucky you have an aunt who shares family information with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet your auntie has plenty of stories to tell.:-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete